Psoriasis – Ayurveda Treatment at Dheemahi
You may feel embarrassed or uncomfortable with the scaly flakes due to psoriasis. Psoriasis is one of the most common skin diseases, which causes red or black scaly patches in the knees, elbows, and scalp. It is a long-term disease with cycles of flare-ups weekly or monthly. Psoriasis affects more than 2-4% of the population worldwide.
The reason behind psoriasis is unknown even though it is considered an immune-mediated disease. An important factor is a genetics in the occurrence and development of psoriasis.
Symptoms of psoriasis are different in different skin types. Generally, psoriasis exhibits red or black patches with thick scaly scales. There will be swollen and stiff joints with thicked, pitted or ridged nails.
In Ayurveda psoriasis is correlated with Kitibha ( a type of Kushta or skin disease). A clear description of kitibha is available in three important Samhita. Yet with changing stages of disease, we have to treat depending on symptoms and dosha predominance.
Psoriasis Causes according to Ayurveda
The exact reason for psoriasis is unknown. It is considered an immune response that causes a faster rate of regeneration of the skin. This rapid cell regeneration causes red patches and excessive scaly flakes in the skin.
There are several types of psoriasis, which includes:
- Erythrodermic psoriasis: in this type, the entire body is covered with a red, peeling rash that can itch or burn intensely.
- Pustular psoriasis: in this pus-filled lesions occur in widespread patches or there may occur in smaller areas like palms of the hands or the soles of the feet.
- Inverse psoriasis: occurs mainly in skin folds like buttocks, breasts, groins, etc. With friction, it causes smooth patches of red skin.
- Nail psoriasis: when psoriasis affects fingernails and toenails causing, discoloration, pitting, and abnormal nail growth. In the worst case nails can separate from the nail bed.
- Plaque psoriasis: dry raised, red skin patches covered with silvery scales. Sometimes plaques get itchy or tender and there may be few or many. May appears on elbows, knees, lower back, and scalp.
- Psoriatic arthritis: symptoms include swollen, painful joints that are typical of arthritis. Symptoms can be mild or severe. In advanced stages, it can affect any joints and cause deformity also.
- Guttate psoriasis: affects more in young adults and children. Triggered usually by a bacterial infection such as strep throat. It’s marked by small, drop-shaped, scaling lesions on the trunk, arms, or legs.
There are certain triggering factors which may include genetics and environmental factors. Other triggering factors include other skin diseases, cold and dry conditions, injury to the skin which includes bug bite, stress, alcohol, or smoking.
Psoriasis Ayurvedic Treatment
We at dheemahi check your koshta( digestive tract) before starting your treatment. If there is any AMA ( undigested food in your digestive tract) DEEPANA and PACHANA drugs are prescribed.
KITIBHA is one among KSHUDRA KUSHTA, which is due to the vitiation of vata and kapha doshas. Considering your prakruthi, dosha vitiation, and bala we start your treatment.
We at dheemahi provide in-house panchakarma treatment for your psoriatic problems.if your vata dosha is vitiated we provide SNEHAPANA ( oleation) , if there is pitta vitiation in your psoriasis Ayurveda has the solution of VIRECHANA( medicated purgation) or RAKTA MOKSHANA ( bloodletting) and if kapha dosha vitiation VAMANA ( medicated vomiting) is prescribed for you. Usually, it takes at least 21 days for all SHODHANA( elimination therapy) therapy at DHEEMAHI.
External therapy for psoriasis includes herbal LEPANA’s . Along with external therapy, internal medications are also prescribed for psoriasis.
RASAYANA ( rejuvenative) therapy which is prescribed in ancient texts helps to arrest the reappearance of psoriasis.
Cure prospect for Psoriasis
The cure for your psoriasis depends more on your disease status. Severity, AMA, BALA ( strength), the extent of spread, etc. There can be stages of flare-ups and downs and during this tough time, the patient has to give complete trust and confidence in our care and finish the treatments.
A combination of an expert panel of doctors with a calm and rejuvenating environment are the facilities we provide at DHEEMAHI.
Ready to Make a
Dheemahi Ayurvedic Private Limited, Near Neelimangalam Bridge, Kumaranaloor, Perumbaikad.P.O, Kottayam, Kerala, India, Pin 686016
Call Us Anytime: +91 80 4717 2727